- Book titles are always italicized: To Kill a Mockingbird
- Paragraphs are NOT indented
- Single space
- There should be a space between paragraphs
- Include your paper’s title on the essay page
- Use the “Paste from Word” toolbar button to copy your paper into your page
Using Quotes: Remember quotes and passages from the book need to be set off by quotation marks, followed by the page number the passage is found on in parenthesis. Any punctuation that is needed goes inside the quotes and after the page number.
- “The closest we come to worship is the Trinity of Visa, MasterCard, and American Express” (29).
- Melinda’s belief that cheerleaders confuse her because she “missed out on Sunday School,” (29) is an example of the sarcasm she uses to explain the dynamics of her high school.
Paraphrasing: is when you retell a portion of the book in your own words, not the author’s. If you are retelling a specific scene and you find yourself copying a lot of the author’s words from the book, you need to either put them in direct quotes or point out that the author wrote it.
- In the novel, the author uses report card grades to reflect how Melinda’s life is developing. To do this she incorporates grades for other aspects of her life other than classes: Social Life, Lunch, Clothes.
Links: how to create hyperlinks in your writing.
- If you are making an external link, go to the site and copy the url first.
- Then, highlight text you want to serve as the link.
- Then, click on the hyperlink icon in the tool bar:
- Paste (Control+V) the url into the space provided.
- If you want the link to open in its own window, make that choice.
- If you want the link to go to an email address, mailto: must precede the email address.
- Don’t forget to click Insert.
- Each e-mail you write should contain a Subject. For those assignments e-mailed to your teacher, there will be a provided Subject name which is followed by the hour you have CyberEnglish. Example: TKAM1, TKAM2, or TKAM3
- Assignments are always sent as attachments. Never copy and paste your assignment straight into the email. To make an attachment, click on the paper click and then find the name of your file to attach.
- Ctrl C = copy
- Ctrl V = paste
- Ctrl Z = undo