What is a Writer’s Profile?
Think Reader’s Profile only about writing! A Writer’s Profile is a reflection of who you are as a writer. It is important to consider this in order to recognize your writing strengths and weaknesses. With this knowledge you can work on bettering your writing abilities. Reflecting on your writing also allows you to consider the different types of writing you do in life. By considering the different types you can also consider the genres and types you are missing out on.
How do I create a Writer’s Profile?
It is important to reflect upon your writing practices, similar to how we reflect upon reading. Below are a series of questions for you to consider when thinking about the type of writer you are. Reflect on each of these and describe what occurred for you as you engaged in the writing task. The questions provided are intended to prompt your thinking. They are not intended to be followed in a strict pattern. Remember this is your personal reflective writing. It is encouraged to think outside the box, experiment with your writing, be creative. You will continue to reflect and reconsider who you are as a writer throughout the remainder of the year.
This profile will be worth 25 points. This profile will be posted as a sub-page on your blog. It should appear underneath your eighth grade profile and be titled: My Freshman Writer’s Profile. To create your Writer’s Profile, answer the following questions in paragraph form in a Word document:
- When creating a piece of writing, how do you decide what to write about?
- What do you enjoy more, being told what to write about or deciding for yourself? Why?
- What type of writing do you do more of: creative or academic? Why?
- What is your favorite genre to write in: creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, essays, etc?
- What is your favorite piece of writing you ever created? What makes it your favorite?
- How do you feel during the writing process? What emotions do you have? Why?
- When you are writing do you ever hear voices in your head? Where are those voices coming from? Are they you or your characters? How do they help you during the writing process?
- How did you feel about the quality of the piece you produced once you were finished? How do you feel about others judging it?
- What are your feelings about sharing your piece with your peers?
- Is writing on the computer the same or different than writing on paper? Why?
- Is there a writer who inspires you? Why?
- Why do you write?
- How have you changed/improved as a writer since middle school?
- Create one writing goal you would like to accomplish this year.