For this assignment you will be working with a partner. You will be researching Internet safety in order to remain safe while working in the cyberworld. Follow the steps below: research, post, self assessment.
- Read the sites listed below with your partner. After you have each read the site talk together about the most important details you discovered.
- Write down your notes in a graphic organizer and document your sources using Easybib. You only need one graphic organizer for each site. These will be handed in on Thursday.
- In Easy Bib, paste the url into the citation maker and add other information if needed. Click Create Citation and copy it. Paste it into a new word doc called source internet safety or something like that.
- The main question you are investigating is: What do we need to know in order to stay safe on the Internet? Use the following sites to answer this question.
- FBI: A Parent’s Guide to Internet Safety
- US- CERT: Staying Safe on Social Networking Sites
- Top Cyber Security Practices
- Online Safety 3.0: Empowering and Protecting Youth
Post: What I have learned about Internet safety. (collaborative/individual posts)
With your partner, write a two to three paragraph summary of what you learned during the research process. Instead of just summarizing what each site is about, look for things the sites have in common. For example, if all four sites mention that you should not give out any personal information, say that. Do not repeat the same ideas for each site. Below is an example of a summary. Your summary is not supposed to be a list of the ideas you wrote on your graphic organizer. Instead you are blending those ideas into one easy to read summary. Think about the most logical way to organize your ideas.
It might be beneficial for you to use a graphic organizer to sort through your ideas.
Each partner will post the summary to his or her own blog using these guidelines when creating the post:
- Title of post: Internet Safety
- Opening sentence: For the Internet safety assignment I worked with [put your partner’s name here] (remember to only use first name, last initial). Here is what we learned about Internet safety:
- Copy and paste your summary into the text box using the Paste from Word icon.
- Category: Assignments (if you do not have this post category yet, you will have to create it) To create a category, go to Posts, Categories, Add New. It’s easy!!
One of the most important concepts we learned about Internet safety was to never give out your home phone number or address. All four of the sites that we read mentioned this as well as not giving out your full last name. Keeping this information private is important because it helps prevent readers from being able to track you down and pick you out of a crowd of high school students.
Self Assessment (individually)
By yourself, complete a self assessment in a Word document. Use the prompts below to create your assessment. Your answers should be in complete sentences. When you have completed the self assessment email it, as an attachment, to your teacher. Use subject line: Internet.
- Describe how to create a post with a category.
- Describe your role in the note-taking process.
- Describe what you contributed to the summary post.
- Describe three things you learned during this assignment that will benefit you in other high school classes.